© "Through Jo's-D -Eyes"

© "Through Jo's D- Eyes" is a photography blog , about Dutch thoughts and things , seen in Holland or on travels in Europe. Feel welcome to visit this blog. Your creative personal comments are welcome in all languages (please not commercial or political) * Protected by copyright © . Made by www.joannwalraven.com/NL- 2002-2012 . Please do not use this photo's without permission.Thank you for your Interest.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________





Monday, January 14, 2008

Harvest festival in INDIA...

Starting today: 3 days 'PONGAL' ,

(click on the above photo, then you can visit Rauf's blog about INDIA)
*
What is PONGAL?
The Harvest in South India festival is named "Pongal,
This 3 days festival is celebrated in the State of Tamil Nadu, south India. Pongal is a harvest festival, nothing to do with religion. Everybody celebrates it , Rauf has written about this PONGAL-festival-time last year in 2007, in his post: 'Thank you Farmers' .
*
The celebration is just thanking the nature for being kind, houses are decorated, farmers decorate their cows and bulls and worship simple farming equipment. most of the farmers cannot afford tractors and modern farming equipment. Harvesting is done by farm hands. big time farmers bring in modern farming equipment and render these poor farm hands jobless.
This year there was a good harvest and people are celebrating that 3 days ........
Happy harvest celebration !

9 comments:

Jayne said...

Interesting information there JoAnn.

Have a great Monday !!

:0)

Ruth said...

How nice to see rauf's blog header there. That post "Thank you Farmers" is my favorite of his, I think.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

that was sweet of you Joann....i am glad you know about Pongal now :)

rauf said...

Thank you JoAnn

here is the the post

http://whitesroad.blogspot.com/2007/01/thank-you-farmers.html

Hope you are doing fine JoAnn

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Thank YOU! people from India, with your great countrie and harvest!

I like to know more about all cultures, and by sharing it with YOU blogreaders I hope you understand more of other's countries cultures and habits.

Thank you fro your interest,

JoAnn

Amrita said...

Thank you for writing about the Indian festival. We are celebrating another festival in North india.

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Ok Amrita,
Thanks so much for telling me , now I woud like to know wht kind of festivity you are celebrating in North India?

You're very welcome, I like to know about your country's festivities and I like you and your people in INDIA!

JoAnn

Aarti said...

Hi JoAnn

you sure are an angel... how sweet of you to put up that post for us ....

Wish u a very happy Pongal too dear lady~~:)

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi Aaarti,
you are so very very welcome, I love to show a lot of your great countrie, with nice people too, I Love the India culture and festivities:)