© "Through Jo's-D -Eyes"

© "Through Jo's D- Eyes" is a photography blog , about Dutch thoughts and things , seen in Holland or on travels in Europe. Feel welcome to visit this blog. Your creative personal comments are welcome in all languages (please not commercial or political) * Protected by copyright © . Made by www.joannwalraven.com/NL- 2002-2012 . Please do not use this photo's without permission.Thank you for your Interest.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________





Friday, February 23, 2007

DAD & me our 'names-1',


Above and under: My dad and me in the year 2000
My dad (he died in 2003) and I had our names in comment.
My Dad's birth-name is "Johannus" in short given name: 'Jan',
Jan is a very frequent used male name in Holland, so when your name was 'Jan' they could (and its still like that nowadays) call you: small- or Big Jan, Old- or Youngh Jan....Jan the 1th, 2th. etc.In Short :Jan (from John), Jan comes from: 'Johannus' wich means:"God is gracious."

Well the meaning of my dad's name'Johannus', that's my Dad 'in an out' , because he really lived his intire life as a very strict religious Christian. (too strict in my opinion) My given birthname is the female form of 'Johannus', wich is 'Johanna". With the same meaning as Johannus. About' 'Johanna' is told a story as follows: "Johanna was the name from a woman of Chusas (?), Chusas was a rentmaster of Herodus of Antipas, wich was healed by Jesus Christ". My family called me 'Joke', wich I never liked as a frontname, There were always a lot of (7!!) Joke's in my school-class, so I was always called: Joke 2 or 3 or 4 or more, Not so nice.My Dad, always called me (for him ment as a sweet name): Josje. This name'Josje' means nothing, it's only a sweet nickname from my Dad. (thanks Dad!)


Than my (later) own given name JoAnn, because I gave myself this name while I was travelling. No-one could promounce 'Joke' , than I was called; 'Jokka' (YAK!!!)or something like that. So I told people that my birthname was: 'Johanna' , because I was with English spoken people my name became soon, or changed in : 'JoAnn" Since 1980 is my name :JoAnn The name 'JoAnn' comes from:" Joannes Chrysostomus", He was one of the most important Church fathers from The Far East, born. ca. 354 in Antiochië, he was a munck (and kluizenaar)

1)Link to: Dutchnamebook 2)Link to: Dutch namebook

No comments: