"What's the meaning of their names ":
Theo and Truus.
But first: Who are they and how am I related with them?
Truus is my aunt, because she is the (much!) younger sister of my mom (Co) . T & T are both Dutch, and born in Holland. Theo emigrated to Canada in 1956 , he met Truus (later) , when he went back to Holland for a short time. ( I think it went that way...) So after a time they came together again, they married and they are still living in Canada. Their front-names 'changed' in Canada in: Ted and Trudy. Truus and I met each other in person a year ago , when she visited Holland with her daughter Yvonne, (januari-February 2006) . Before we were having a frequent email contact. Since we met in Holland (this was a great time!) we kept contact and I visited Truus later (september 2006) in Canada. I met her husband (my uncle ) Theo , and their fantastic spontanious children , grandchilden and their friends. I am still impressed, because we really like(d) & love each other. Truus and I have so much in comment, we could be sisters.
*
What did I find about the name Theo:
His full birthnames are Theodorus, Regnerus.
Theo, from Theodorus Td: means : 1) 'Present of God' (Dutch: Geschenk van God") 2) Also know as a holy name by, 'Theodorus Graptus', he was coming from Syrië , a munck at the religious house (Dutch:' monnik uit een klooster') in Mar Saba near Jerusalem/Israel. (His name Graptus (Greek form= graptos), ( Dutch:`beschrevene, getekende'). He got this name because he was a slafe and a refugee .( Dutch: een gevluchte slaaf), The slafe's face was mutilated by a colored arrow.(Dutch: Hij was met een in kleurstof gedrenkte pijl in het gezicht verminkt.) 3) Before the 17th century the latin form of Theodorus also was aholy name: "Feodor in Russia"4) In Holland the name Theodorus became in daily life after the 17th century : Derk or Derrick. Regnerus: I tried to find the meaning of this name, butI came no very far , I only could find 2 persons: 1) a Regnerus Praedinius: a teacher and writer, born in 1512 in Holland and 2) a church on Terschelling (island in Holland). So this is all for now.
*
I found the following about the name Truus:
Her birthnames are Geertruida, Berta.
Truus and also Trudie (Tristan): Means : "Mythologic Lover" ( Dutch: Mythologische minnaar ) from (keltisch) Truus or Trudie is a shorter name wich is coming from Geertruida .( Dutch: Verkorting Geertruida) (vgl. de vorm Gertrudis). In a Dutch town named 'Genemuiden' the name comes from 'Catharina'. Catharina comes from the Greek "cat- haros' , this means : Pure , clean (zuiver en rein). The Name Bertha; Comes from Adelbert, the meaning (Look also under blog publice: 'Albert-peter names-3') is shiny and coming from a 'nobelty family' ( of noble birth).
*
Well that's all about this front-names , Thanks!!!! to Yvonne, who gave me the birthnames of her parents. It was pleasant 'sport' for me, to find out the meaning the front-names of people I love. Of course there are always better 'meanings in a name' but this is how far I could get with the information I could find in Dutch namebooks.....



2 comments:
Their full names are
Regnerus Theodorus
and
Geertruida Bertha
Thanks Yvonne, I put-in their birthnames ( in Blog) with 'the meaning' I could find so far...
Post a Comment