© "Through Jo's-D -Eyes"

© "Through Jo's D- Eyes" is a photography blog , about Dutch thoughts and things , seen in Holland or on travels in Europe. Feel welcome to visit this blog. Your creative personal comments are welcome in all languages (please not commercial or political) * Protected by copyright © . Made by www.joannwalraven.com/NL- 2002-2012 . Please do not use this photo's without permission.Thank you for your Interest.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________





Friday, October 26, 2007

Italy ,Temple and Theatre,

On our journey to SOUTH Italy-Sicily,
we saw this beautiful historical Temple with a hugh Theatre inside....
In Italie Sicilie zagen we deze prachtige oude historische Tempel, met vanbinnen een enorm Theater ...
***
SEGESTA the Temple and Theatre,
Photo below:"Segesta" is THE most impressive Greek temple of Sicily, its made 416-426 before Crist, its never really finished. The temple belongs to an city named "Egesta" (12 centuries before Chr.) which belonged to the Eliminers (Spanish or Liguric people, thought the historic's ). The Temple has a closed "cella" inside, although the Temple is laying in a valley, the surroundings are just empty hills & idyllic GREAT landscape.
*
*
Foto boven:"Segesta" is wel de indrukwekkendste Griekse Tempel van Sicilie en gebouwd 416-426 v.Chr., en hij is nooit echt afgebouwd. De Tempel behoort tot een stadje genaamd "Egesta" (12e eeuw v. Chr.) wat toebehoorde aan de "Eliminers" (van Spaanse of Ligurische afkomst denken de historici) De Tempel heeft een afgesloten binnengedeelte "Cella", maar de Temple zelf ligt in een parchtige heuvelachtige vallei, een echt idylisch, schitterend landschap!-
________________________________________
Photo under: The theatre inside this Temple, ( 4th c b Chr. built under the Romans) is VERY big! Big enough for 3200 visiters,WOW! with its 63 meters wide you can probably imagine how hugh/BIG this fantastic theatre is.
*
*
Foto boven: Het Theater (4 e eeuw v Chr gebouwd onder de Romeinen) is groot genoeg om 32oo mensen te herbergen, met een omvang van wel 63 meter kun je je misschien wel voorstellen hoe enorm en kollosaal groot dit theater is!

***

Thank you :) everyone for your enthousiatic reactions for the Tomatoes-recepts, it was fun reading them all :)!! HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND:)
Dankjewel :) voor jullie enthousiaste reacties op de Tomane-recepten, het was erg leuk ze allemall te lezen een PRETTIG WEEKEND:)

16 comments:

Marijke said...

Hoi JoAnn

Als je de foto's ziet zou je zo op vakantie willen gaan.
Ja, het zijn inderdaad inmens grote gebouwen.
Wel erg mooi, het heeft altijd wel wat.
Jij ook een prettig weekend
Doeg.
Marijke.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I have not been to Italy (it's on my list) but I was in the Netherlands for a short bit in 2000. My husband is a little bit Dutch so we had to see the wooden shoes and the windmills when we were there.

The food photos below make me want to go out for some good Italian food!

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Not a sunny day, but the views are splendid.

Have a wonderful weekend, dear Dutchess :). Hugs to IOS.

NorthBayPhoto said...

Fantastic series of photos!

dot said...

What a magnificient sight! That is something I would really enjoy seeing in person but never will. Thankfully I have JoAnn's eyes to see it through.

isa said...

I wonder why the Temple was never finished? War? Natural disaster? Budget woes? ;-)

Thanks for sharing your "how we met" story! First kiss under the Arc de Triomphe...how romantic!

Neva said...

I am with Dot...probably won't make it here but thankfully we can look through your eyes!! Lovely photos...

Anonymous said...

Wow Jo-Ann, what a place...can you imagine attending a performance in such a place today......with all the history and the wildness surrounding you???

Web-OJ said...

I stayed in Amstelveen, Holland for 3 months a couple of years ago. Oh my gosh! I love that place. I still get mushy thinking about it. You have a lovely country. I found the Dutch people very friendly with a great sense of humour and not at all the inquisitive kind. I love everything about Holland, the place, the people, the shopping, the buildings, the trams, the busses, the pizzas, the French Fries, the canals .... I could go on and on. Am looking forward to see a lot of Holland pics on your blog.

Cris said...

Fantastic, I would love to go to a place like this, things here aren't so old. Nice that a trip to Italy reveals so many details of the ancient world.

judi/Gmj said...

Good shots my little red headed friend! I wonder what the temple looks like by moonlight. Bet it is just stunning and a little spooky! Yave a great weekend!

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Thank yo for commenting....

*Marijke, :) wanneer ga je? Eerst een oppas vinden natuurlijk, en dan gaan!
*That's interesting KIM, from what part of Holland is your husband? thanks for visiting my blog, I liked yours too.
*Hi Fenix, thanks a lot dear Bostoness:) haha!
*Thanks Northbay,for the compliment.
*DOT< you're very welcome to join me..:)
*Isabella, the answer on you Q is: the Temple could never be finished because of the continious war with the greek /silinus, under the 'carthagens' protection the temple blossomed again, but another war 264-241 v chr. between the romans and the carthagoos, -they lost- was reason for the silestians to stop with building again...the temple is never finished, its built fast and cheap,its made in between many figthings/wars...
*Neva, just join Dot (and me) though my camera's eyes..
*weboj, Soon I start again with photography about my Holland, but you also follow the labels (on the right-sidebar of my blog) find the Duth labels: Dutch-culture-windmills etc.. Thanks for stopping by:)
*Cris, I fully agree, Italy is a fantastic historical place to go, and for us nearby...
*Hi GmJ I maybe have a shot from the Tmple by night ( not made by me) its very spooky at night there , so I wouldn't go there, good for Haloween maybe...:)

Thanks everyone for you BIG interest!:)

JoAnn:)

Rob said...

Grazie, Joann! So much history here, exciting to see. I am amazed at how old these sights are.

Always a pleasure to meet new friends virtually. My wife and I traveled to Italy a year ago, we were close to Amsterdam, at schiphol airport for only 1 hour each way. Someday, I should like to travel to holland and see it with my own eyes. We hope to travel to Paris in 2008, working on schedules, and of course, $$$. Much more expensive for us to travel there.

I enjoy Europe, so different from here. And our city and area is not as exciting as New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles. But I hope you find some interesting sights from my home in Minnesota.

A new start to the work week, have a good week!

Amrita said...

This is so historical, all the Roman plays and all. Wish i was there.Reminds me of the Gladiator movie and Aztrix comics.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Gorgeous! I'm such a sucker for ancient theatres...always get caught up imagining what those stones have seen :)

JAM said...

Completely amazing photo. These places must have been incredible to see in person and to walk around them.