______________________________________
Welcome on JoAnn's Skywatch FRIDAY!
____________________________________________
We are in now in SWITSERLAND !
....as you all can see....
Below you can read the information about the area where we stay.
Below you can read the information about the area where we stay.
(photo under vcreative commons licence)
Where are we now?
We are in the area :"The Valais"
Wallis is one of the 26 cantons of Switzerland in the southwestern part of the country, around the valley of the Rhône from its headwaters to Lake Geneva, separating the Pennine Alps from the Bernese Alps. The canton is one of the drier parts of Switzerland in its central Rhône valley. Paradoxically it is also one of most well-watered parts, having large amounts of snow and rain up on the highest peaks found in Switzerland. It is perhaps best known worldwide for the Matterhorn.
________________________________________
Map of The Canton Wallis ,
We stay in 'Crans Montana' 1500 mtr hight

________________________________________
Geography
The Mischabel Group: Dom, Täschhorn, and Alphubel
The canton of Valais lies in the southwest of Switzerland. To its south lies Italy, to the southwest France. To the north the canton is bounded by the Swiss cantons of Vaud and Bern; the cantons of Uri and Ticino lie to its east.
The wide, glacial Rhône valley dominates the area. There are many side valleys which branch off the main valley. These vary from narrow and remote to reasonably populous and popular. At the head of the Mattertal valley lies Zermatt, a pretty tourist village dominated by views of the Matterhorn (4 478 m). Fifty of the mountains exceed 4 000 m with the highest, Monte Rosa, reaching to 4 638 m (15,217ft), and there are numerous glaciers.
The Rhône drains the main valley from east to west up to Martigny, then in a right angle north to its mouth in the Lake Geneva. After the small town of Saint-Maurice, the northern banks of the river belong to the canton of Vaud. The main valley is bound by the Bernese Alps in the north and the Pennine Alps in the south. Only about half of the total area is considered productive.
________________________________________
________________________________________
Geography
The Mischabel Group: Dom, Täschhorn, and Alphubel
The canton of Valais lies in the southwest of Switzerland. To its south lies Italy, to the southwest France. To the north the canton is bounded by the Swiss cantons of Vaud and Bern; the cantons of Uri and Ticino lie to its east.
The wide, glacial Rhône valley dominates the area. There are many side valleys which branch off the main valley. These vary from narrow and remote to reasonably populous and popular. At the head of the Mattertal valley lies Zermatt, a pretty tourist village dominated by views of the Matterhorn (4 478 m). Fifty of the mountains exceed 4 000 m with the highest, Monte Rosa, reaching to 4 638 m (15,217ft), and there are numerous glaciers.
The Rhône drains the main valley from east to west up to Martigny, then in a right angle north to its mouth in the Lake Geneva. After the small town of Saint-Maurice, the northern banks of the river belong to the canton of Vaud. The main valley is bound by the Bernese Alps in the north and the Pennine Alps in the south. Only about half of the total area is considered productive.
________________________________________
Thank you for your visit and your interest!! ....
Don't forget Me, also not when I am on travelling,
I won't forget You....I visit your blogs as soon as I am home.
We will be back in week 19 (may 2008)



29 comments:
Look at those mountain tops. It is al little bit scary looks so sharp. And looks so cold to!
Great post!
Petunia's SWF
Yes ! It snowing in SWITSERLAND, in CRANS-MONTANA, thats where we stay now, its a lot colder than in HOLLAND, but its worth the visit:)I will make lots of photo's from the great fantastic nature there, so keep watching, I'll be back!!!
*
I am not able to get on the internet often so this is allI can comment, more comments when I return.
Thank you for your interest!
Happy JoAnn in cold Switserland.
Those mountains are beautiful youngsters! Wonderful shot.
Love your mountains.
My sky watch is up also The Goat Man
Beautiful view and great information JoAnn.. I like the aircraft :O)
The mountains are just beautiful with all that snow and the sky even more blue in contrast!
Switzerland ??
excellent well done, another beautiful visit.
Now I'm going to travel again in your photos and I hope for lots of pictures.
Wonderful, great shot, good Sky
I love mountains and this picture is just great!
Very great view with lot's of information.
What a traveller you are my friend :)
Take the best of it.
Nice one for SWF! mine’s up too, hope you can visit. Have a wonderful weekend!
What beautiful mountain caps. This is very pretty. Hope you are having a great time
wow, you have arrived in paradise. I hope you like skiing...
Cheers,
Scotty
It seems that many of us are travelling at the moment! I'm also going to a country starting with Sw..., but not the same! ... and I will be back at the same time as you, so I can see what you have discovered on the spot!
Superb photos,the view over the mountains is just stunning.
Hello Joann, as usual your blog is a great place to view some fantastic shots!! Hope you are well.
Great.
Beautiful shot.
Your dog told me about your Sky Watch Friday!!
Good trip.
Great shot and great information JoAnn! Good SWF post.
A great shot! Have a good time! does IOS go with you?
Great shot! Enjoy your trip and come back to posting and commenting as soon as possible...
Blogtrotter
Great! :)
Do you ski??? I can hear you singing "Climb every mountain" al the way over here in Canada!!!! Have a beautiful time....
Wat een fantisch mooi uitzicht op de bergtoppen. Heel mooi JoAnn.
Don't break a leg.
What a wonderful travel report and so well documented with wonderful trips - as a Norwegian, who loves mountains and snow it was a great read you know!
Wishing you a great end to your week :-)
wow Joann That picture is gorgeous
Are you on a Europe trip. You must have such a good time Enjoy
Thanks for that magnificent mountains shot and the geography lesson! Are you doing any skiing?
I won't be here when you get back (my last post was on 4/27), so best to you and Ios! I enjoyed my visits here and your contagious enthusiasm ;-)
Hugs and kisses, my friend!
Really beautiful mountains! A scenic photo.
Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex
fantastic view and info. well done again
How wonderful seeing your pictures.
I have been many times to Switzerland and are reminded of my great vacations there,
Wish you a good time..
cheers from Canada
Post a Comment