© "Through Jo's-D -Eyes"

© "Through Jo's D- Eyes" is a photography blog , about Dutch thoughts and things , seen in Holland or on travels in Europe. Feel welcome to visit this blog. Your creative personal comments are welcome in all languages (please not commercial or political) * Protected by copyright © . Made by www.joannwalraven.com/NL- 2002-2012 . Please do not use this photo's without permission.Thank you for your Interest.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________





Friday, October 03, 2008

SWF: Holland - More day-NightClouds & Mills

____________________________________________________________
SIGN-IN here by click on the logo ==>>>
On every Thursday evening around 8=o'clock GMT-time, to join or watch other worldwide's Skywatch .Thanks to the developers "The Skywatch team":Tom, Sandy, IMAC , Klaus & Ivar ____________________________________________________________

WELCOME on JoAnn's D Eyes Blog

.... The Autumn SKY & WINDMILLS IN HOLLAND
Above: A windmills so typical DUTCH with a CLOUDY sky.
*
Today a little more history about ....2 different windmills:
The Netherlands is well known for its windmills. Most of these iconic structures situated along the edge of Polders or roads and they are actually windpumps, designed to drain the land. These are particularly important as much of the country lies below sea level.
Now-a-days you see more: Modern windmills
Not only in The netherlands but worldwide you can see these :
Most modern generations of windmills are more properly called wind turbines, or wind generators, and are primarily used to generate electricity. Modern windmills are designed to convert the energy of the wind into electricity. The largest wind turbines can generate up to 6MW of power (for comparison a modern fossil fuel power plant generates between 500 and 1,300MW). With increasing environmental concern, and approaching limits to fossil fuel consumption, wind power has regained interest as a renewable energy source. It is increasingly becoming more useful and sufficient in providing energy for many areas of the world. One area where turbines have become feasible, is in the Midwestern United States, due to great amounts of wind
*
Above : A Dutch Night sunset with windmills in front,
Many windpumps were built for several accasions as: making flower (for bread) out of wheat, fine colourpaint, or the draining of land. Most are still working but some have been mostly replaced by electric power, many of these windpumps still remain, mainly in a derelict state , however some have been restored.

Good Night and sleep tight ,
...with the windmills in your back or facing the (night) SKY.
____________________________________

Happy
JoAnn is Wishing you a good /creative weekend
*
Thank you for your comments

40 comments:

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

I love windmills....almost as much as I love lighthouses......:)
I would love to live in one of them some day...even if for a night :)
Thanks for sharing the mills from your part of the world. When we were visiting Netherlands in 2007, we visited Groningen and out friend took us north, somewhere close to the coast for a real encounter with the windmill and I dont think I'll forget that afternoon ever..it was beautiful :)

And thank you for not giving up me on Joann, though I have bene lousy about blogging lately.

Take care :)

AphotoAday said...

I'm going to visit the two windmills in Golden Gate Park... It'd be great if I could capture a stunning sky like you have here... --The shot "A Dutch Night Sunset" is really great -- it's a winner...

Dewdrop said...

I love windmills, too! I have only ever seen these type in movies. You have captured them magnificently. I guess I need to visit before they all turn to those modern ugly things.

Juliana RW said...

beautiful windmills...the last 2 shots is that in volendam?

I hope you stop by at my SWF post also in HERE. Thanks

Neva said...

I am a big fan of the modern Wind mills! ....but I LOVE your old Dutch windmills.....I had no idea they were used to make flour......the things you learn in blogland...glad that your shoulder is doing well in Physiotherapy.....

Dick said...

Hé Joann

Prachtige Hollandse luchten en......molens.

imac said...

Beautiful and very dramatic, love them.

And its goodnight from me too.

Reader Wil said...

These wind mill photos are so beautiful especially the first one and the last one. Well all of them. You know that I live so close to the mills, that I often walk there with visitors or I take the bike which is easier and then it takes 15 minutes. I have many photos of the mills on my blog but none as beautiful as yours! Still I am going to use them again. It rains a lot these days but it's autumn, so what do you want??

Daniel Santos said...

absolutely fantastic, well done.

Louise said...

Every picture is fabulous! I especially love the last one with the grasses at the bottom.

I love modern windmills here in the U.S., but in Holland, I think I prefer to see the old ones! The modern ones just do not look like how I imagine Holland looking!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful series with all the golden skies and wonderful silhouettes. We have dozens of the modern windmills on hills in the middle of Washington state.
Fine post!

DeniseinVA said...

These are wonderful. I love windills and you have captured some beautiful scenes. Happy SkyWatch Friday.

Dirkjogt said...

Knappe foto's! Toevallig heb ik voor SWF ook een Nederlandse windmolen :-) vooral omdat zaterdag er enkel een helderblauwe lucht was.

Unknown said...

Leuk onderwerp JoAnn en mooie foto's! Schrijf mij eens waar je ze hebt genomen?

D Herrod said...

The last one is my favorite. Very different from the windmills my Granddaddy had on the farm.

Nancy said...

The windmills are amazing (and the turbine). Such great shots to share for SWF.

Tootie said...

I have never seen a windmill of that type first hand, but would like to. Very nice photos!

Coloradolady said...

The windmills are beautiful as well as the sky shots in the photos. REally enjoyed your blog and my visit today.

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

The last windmills is fantastic!
Wonderful shot, prefects colors!
Great post!

Santilli

Mrs. Bishop said...

I like these very much! Thank you for posting. Happy swf.

Unknown said...

Awesome series!

Rose said...

Oh my! I especially love the last two, probably the second from the last is my favorite. All are wonderful though.

Margaret Cloud said...

Thank you for sharing your pictures, love the sunsets, we have a town called Holland and they do have the old windmill, this town was founded by the Dutch, and every year people come from all over the world to the Tulip Festival.

Amrita said...

Lovely photos Joann. So good to see Holland thru your camera.

esnorway said...

nice shoots

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Thanks everyone even though my sign-in wasn't a succes ( by my own fault, I made a mistake in the spelling) There fore even MORE THANK YOU for the people who made it' through all the signin bloggers, wich are over a 400 perticipants right now,

NB: as soon as I can I'll visit you blogs in return, in weekend I always 'take it easy...:

happy weekend wishes !!
From JoAnn's D Eyes/Holland

Tom said...

Hi JoAnn
What a shame many folk have missed these.... why not link to this again next week... I'm sure your Windmill would please many and the ones here that have already commented will understand.. it really seems a shame after all the effort to put such a post together
Tom

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Thanks so much TOM ...
for your kind reaction on my "missed windmill SWF" this week.
I might follow your tip.


JoAnn's D Eyes

SandyCarlson said...

These photos are wonderful. The first one is so strong and dramatic. The newer windmills look like propellers, don't they? But so bright and crisp. This technology fills my sails with hope!

Anonymous said...

Of course I connect windmills with Holland and you've captured them so beautifully.

Wishing you a great end to your week :-)

Arija said...

Love the old windmills, they take me back to Rembrandt's paintins and a number of other artists as well.
Wind turbines, though useful, don't turn me on.
Great light in your pics.

Gordon said...

Your windmill photos are exceptional; and the information is very interesting.

In South Australia we have many wind farms; over half of the wind turbines in the country. Approximately 15% of our state's electricity is generated by them.

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

thanks for your comment/reaction , I am really surprised about the several functions and windmills in other overseas countries:
Here are some reations on a row:

- (by Gordon)said: in Austraila are windmills, so interesting,
- (by Don),said :in the middle of Washington state
- ( by Louise)said,: the modern windmills here also in the U.S,
- (By photo-a-day )
: two windmills in Golden Gate Park- (by Moi)said: ;we visited Groningen and out friend took us north, somewhere close to the coast for a real encounter with the windmill ...
-Picturing of life asked;"are the last 2 shots is that in volendam?" No they aren't they were taken in Zaandam..
- Herman, deze molens staan, foto's zijn gemaakt in Zaandam.

Thnaks everyone for your interest and nice comments, happy weekend wishes from:

JoAnn's D Eyes

Texel in vogelvlucht. Gerard said...

Hi JoAnn.
Toevallig heb ik drie weken geleden ook gefietst over Kinderdijk. Alleen heb ik niet zulke fraaie foto's gemaakt van de molens als jij. Voor het maken van nieuwe vliegerfoto's waait het de laatste tijd weer veel te hard, maar het gebeurd vast wel weer, binnenkort.
Groetjes, Gerard

Anonymous said...

For me, JoAnn, this is what Holland is all about: Windmills!

Yvonne Parks said...

test

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

yes "test" its working,:) Thanks

Emery Roth said...

Sensational windmill shots, Joann. Some day I'll have to get to Holland. I especially love the first and third. It can be tough to get good silhouette shots.

myonlyphoto said...

Joann these too bring good old memories when I traveled to Germany, so both the old wind mills and modern one. Great shots. Anna :)

Richard Lawry said...

wind generators just arn't as picturesque. thanks for your lovely photos