© "Through Jo's-D -Eyes"

© "Through Jo's D- Eyes" is a photography blog , about Dutch thoughts and things , seen in Holland or on travels in Europe. Feel welcome to visit this blog. Your creative personal comments are welcome in all languages (please not commercial or political) * Protected by copyright © . Made by www.joannwalraven.com/NL- 2002-2012 . Please do not use this photo's without permission.Thank you for your Interest.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________





Tuesday, February 24, 2009

FLOWERS of Holland: Tulips

JoAnn's world <--- Watch others MYworld"
<- click &watch ,signin Tuesday 8PM and JOIN ABC wednesday , Today the letter F
_________________________________________________

FLowers from HOLLAND
*
"In Holland we show our FEELINGS with FLOWERS"


When we are going to a party, a birthday, or another celebration we bring flowers or we are sending them trhough the mail to the person we like to give our congratulations, We show FEELINGS with FLOWERS.
*
HOLLAND is worldwide wellknown for their Tulips, but Holland is also for their Cheese and Wooden shoes. TODAY I am full-filling the wish of many blogreaders who were asking me to tell/show on this blog something more about"our" wellknown TULIPS . So here I'm showing you different types of TULIPS , with their history. It does not matter for me , If you just like to look at the Flowers, or read about the background, its all fine with me, please do as you please. Some others might be interested in the history. Soon in MARCH/APRIL we can enjoy the Tulips again. In MARCH lots of visiters are going to watch the TULIPS the (open from March 19) KEUKENHOF-Flowergarden <---- click here to read more.

The word Tulip is thought to be a corruption of the Turkish word 'tulbend' for turban.

The Tulip was introduced by a famous Austrian biologist Carolus Clusius. Tulips plants belong to the genus Tulipa, in the lily family, Liliaceae. Tulips bloom on bulbous plants, with large, showy flowers with six petals. There are around 100 species of Tulips, which actually came from the Central Asia where they grew wild. Turkish growers first cultivated tulips as early as 1,000 AD.

Facts about Tulips
There are now over 3,000 different registered varieties of cultivated Tulips. Every year billions of Tulips are cultivated, a majority of which are grown and exported from Holland. Historically, Europe considered Tulips as the symbol of the Ottoman Empire. Tulips grow wild over a great territory from Asia Minor through Siberia to China. Tulips were first cultivated and hybridized by the Turks of the Ottoman Empire.
*

*
Tulips symbolise
Tulips symboliss,feelings such as: imagination, dreaminess, perfect lover, and a declaration of love. Fresh out of onions? Use your Tulip bulbs instead! Tulip bulbs are a good replacement for onions in cooking. Classification of TulipsThe following classification of Tulips is based on the time of bloom. Tulips can be divided into early, mid, and late season flowering Tulips.
*

*
Early Flowering Tulips
These Tulips bloom in March and early April. Early Flowering Tulips are Species Tulips, Kaufmanniana (eg., Waterlily), Fosteriana (eg.,Red Emperor), Single Early(eg., Apricot Beauty ), Double Early, Greigii Tulips etc. Midseason Flowering Tulips:- These bloom in April and early may. Eg., Triumph, Swan Wings Tulip, Darwin Hybrids, Parrot Tulips. Late Flowering Tulips:- These Tulips bloom in May. Eg., Single Late, Double Late, Viridiflora Tulips, Lily-Flowered, Fringed Tulips, Rembrandt Tulips, Multi Flowering Tulips.
*

*
How to grow Tulips
Tulips are very easy to grow. Many people design an artistic, colorful layout for the Tulip blooms. Select the location for planting. Prepare the soil by working it well, removing rocks, and weeds. Mix in plenty of organic material and fertilizer. Special bulb formulas and bone meal work best. The Tulips will bloom in almost any soil, with a good drainage. When buying Tulip bulbs, select only the finest quality bulbs. In general the bigger the bulb, the bigger the bloom. Follow the directions from the supplier for spacing and depth. If no directions are included, plant the bulbs 6-8" apart, and at a depth twice the diameter of the bulb. After the Tulips bloom, let the plant continue to grow until it dies off. During the post bloom period, the plant sends energy to the bulb to store for use next spring. Tulips require a period of cold while they are dormant and resting between shows.
*

*
Care For Tulip Bulbs
Tulips are vivacious perennial plants, i.e, they lose their outer parts but conserve the underground stems called bulbs.
For the propagation of new Tulip bulbs one should cut them and leave the stem and the leaves to dry off. Usually this should be done before the Tulips dry off, approximately some three weeks after blooming. After a month and a half of having cut the Tulip flowers, extract the bulbs and conserve in a cold, dry place. A high temperature can ruin the Tulip bulb or result in poor quality in new plants. (These conditions are applicable to both types of cultivations, either in soil or in hydroponics).
*

*
I Hope you enjoyed reading and watching the photo's and history about Tulips
*
Happy ABC
ENJOY YOUR WEEK
Thank you for your comments

55 comments:

PeterParis said...

O surely did enjoy! Thanks! I knew a little bit, but not all! It's amazing to see the fields also from the sky, flying in to Schiphol a sunny spring day!

Rob said...

Thank you, this is a fun tulip history lesson. I pretty spring time flower. It is the first to appear, sometimes during snow!

Michelle said...

Really interesting. I LOVE Tulips. They are so beautiful they remind me of spring time which I am very much looking forward to.

EG CameraGirl said...

Tulips are a favourite flower in Canada. Ottawa has hundreds of thousands of tulips in May - not March like at Keukenhof. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love tulips and this was such an interesting post. I am impressed with the photography and variety of tulips you showed us.

Arija said...

A very beautiful Tuip post! Lovely photos, but where is the Black Tulip?

Sylvia K said...

Marvelous post! The photos are breathtaking and loved all the background on tulips! They're one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

JoAnn: I do love that flower that is asleep under the snow pack. You made some neat captures.

Reader Wil said...

Prachtige tulpen en vooral de laatste vind ik heel mooi! Mooie macro foto. Bij mij zijn de sneeuwklokjes net uit.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I love tulips too. I bet they're every where in Holland.

Leanne said...

They are such beautiful flowers I especially love the bottom purple one that colour is fantastic.

Unknown said...

Mooi samengevat hoor JoAnn, en prachtige kleuren. Nog enkele weken en de bodem begint weer te zinderen van het leven onder het stroo op de bollenvelden. crocussen, narcissen en alles wart daarna komt. Dan de Keukenhof weer. Ik raak daar aan verslaafd.

imac said...

Very interesting, Ive learnt something today, thanks for the Tulip history.

Jane Hards Photography said...

The tulip history is just so fascinating and the images beautiful.

Janie said...

Thanks for the tulip tour and info about them. You took some great photos to illustrate. I planted some here this year, but they're not up yet. I'm hoping...

Anonymous said...

We have a Holland, Michigan, as well - also famous for its tulips. I may be able to visit there (the city, not the country, alas) next fall.

Unknown said...

I was at Amsterdam many years ago just around the time of your Queen's birthday and visited the Tulip Garden. It was very beautiful. I ordered for them to be shipped back to the US. We also have tulip garden in Taiwan. But Taiwan is too hot, I do not think we propagate them effectively. They have nothing compare to the ones in Holland.

Unknown said...

Very interesting, over 300 varieties! They are really beautiful additions to any garden, so vividly coloured.

And complimented perfectly by Robbie singing, you know I look forward to hearing this song every week here now.

Loran said...

I love tulips and so do the deer who come through my yard! Apparently they are quite tasty. Your pictures are beautiful.

Lilli & Nevada said...

They are truly beautiful thanks for sharing them with us

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi thanks for reacting all of you,
Here some ore about Tulips in reaction on some questions:

For te record: I am not claiming that HOLLAND is the only countrie in the world where you can see Tulips.., althought Tulips are most seen here in HOLLAND on the (flat land) widespread fields filled with many Tulips,

Note for some blogreaders -living in Michigan and Ottawa-:
OKE I agree that in other countries ( than Holland) you can also find Tulips, although they are more Expensive than in Holland . So Yes in other countries (imported) Tulips are maybe found in shops and some foreign farmers may let Tulips grow too.

Here ann answer on Arija's question about the BLACK TULIP:
Answer:
"The Black Tulip is not really ëxisting,they say there is a BLACK Tulip... but the colour is a deep DARK PURPLE, thats almost black"

Enjoy watching and thank you for your interest , wishing you a nice day:D

All your questions and comments are welcome!
JoAnn (Blogauthor)

Louise said...

Your photos are spectacular! I would LOVE to go see that someday!

Amrita said...

I am struck by the beauty of these flowers.

Lovely post JoAnn with all the history and details about tulips. I did not any of this.

They are one of my favourite flowers altho its difficult to grow them here.

myonlyphoto said...

Joann what a beautiful flower, when I was in Amsterdam on the airport only, I was amazed how tulips were popular, however, we were not able to buy them because it was illigal to bring them to Canada. The purple tulip picture is my favorite, and thanks for the useful tips. Anna :0

Liv said...

Beautiful post, I love tulips. Tulips comes to us so early in the spring that I still am "hungry" for flowers.
I love your post, both beautyful and all the facts.

Carolina said...

Hoi JoAnn, bedankt voor je bezoekje aan mijn blog over Frost ;-)
Groetjes, Carolina

Carolina said...

Me again, thanks for joining my list of 'followers'. Hopefully you will not be disappointed ;-)
Groetjes, Carolina

naturglede/Randi Lind said...

I love your post today, because I love tulips. I never know that we could eat the onion, but I never will either.I am looking forwards to the spring in my garden.I have planted new tulips for this year. Ones in my lifetime I must visit Keukenhof too.Have a fun abc.

Anonymous said...

Wow. These flower pictures are magnificent! I LOVE them!

AphotoAday said...

Well, I REALLY enjoyed that, Joann...   SO educational, and beautiful!

Leslie: said...

Ah...tulips, my favourite flower of all! Especially the white and deep purple ones. Thanks so much for sharing.

btw...am feeling better, but still struggling to walk much.

Dreamybee said...

Beautiful photos of tulips! I would love to visit Holland sometime and see all the tulips in bloom. I had no idea you could eat tulip bulbs! Do they taste very similar to onions, or do they have their own unique flavor?

EG CameraGirl said...

JoAnn,
You asked me where I live in Canada. I live about five hours west of Ottawa and about an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city.

Tumblewords: said...

So enjoyable - the travel with tulips. Fantastic photos!!

spacedlaw said...

Since I used to leave in the Bollenstreek, Is aw many fields. what always amazed me were the piles of discarded flowers alongside the road.

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Wonderful JoAnn and heaven for a tulipfreak like me.

After looking at your picture I want to go to Keukenhof again.

Excellent choice for F

xoxo Tyra

antigoni said...

Wow! I love tulips.

Anonymous said...

When I read 'The Black Tulip' by Alexandre Dumas I was surprised to read that people ate tulip bulbs if they had no onions! I thought they were toxic!

Seems a shame, but I suppose if you are starving, you will do it!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Beautiful "F" post. I love tulips!! All of these are really beautiful! Thanks for the info and trip to see all the tulips! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

A very interesting trip to the world with tulips with lot's of useful information and some tips to.

I specially liked the texture of the purple tulip, even if all the photos were quite great.

Dick said...

Enjoy your week also, lovely flower pictures.

Marijke said...

Hoi

Lees vandaag je blog over tulpen die van oorsprong uit Turkije komen....tegelijkertijd de vliegtuig ramp met een boeing 737 uit Turkijke.
Natuurlijk heeft het één niets met het ander te maken. Maar ja, toeval.
Vind de foto's weer prachtig, je kan er wat van !

Groet
Marijke

Marijke said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Excellent photos and post dear Jo'Ann :-) I adore tulips too! Have a beautiful week!

don said...

Informative as it was beautiful! A fine series on these beautiful flowers with more information that I've known before. Fine post.

Buddhist in Training said...

I would love to see the tulips fields in person, I have only seen them on tv, and they look amazing.

Rinkly Rimes said...

F for Facts, and F for Flowers! And all of it good to read!

Anonymous said...

tulips, my favorite flowers. and the last one, my top, great colors and details

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Thank you for your comments, for the blogreaders who like to visit the flowergarden in HOLLAND with Tulips, go to the websitte of The KEUKENHOF< (Flowergarden)

here is the link: www.keukenhof.nl
and click on the flag of your country for the language you like to read

Thank you for your interest:)
JoAnn (Blogauthor)

Rune Eide said...

What else than beautiful tulips can it be from Holland when it comes to flowers? :-)

PS Thank you for the very pleasant comment!

Dragonstar said...

Your photos are beautiful - so many vivid colours! Tulips are always associated with Holland in my mind.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Those are gorgeous tulip photos, JoAnn, and thanks for the historical information about tulips. A lovely "F" post.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tulips pics and very interesting read about the history too!

My parent's came to visit this week and brought tulips and I was thinking of you and Holland right away :-)

Happy weekend!

Deb said...

The tulips are beautiful!

antigoni said...

I love tulips.