Typical Dutch seemed to be:
While reading the daily newspaper I realised that some for us normal& daily street-vieuws, are very rare in other countries and so: typically Dutch....We don't see it anymore as something 'strange', but when you are living in a country (other European countries , & oversees: the States, Canada) where biking is more a sport and not (like in Holland) a part of the daily traffic?
Good or bad weather, in snow or in the rain:
People here do their shopping by bike,with big shopping bags on both sides.
We bring- and pickup our children from school by bike,
Deliver the post/newspaper by bike ,
As soon as a child can walk they get a "babybike' with two side wheels, so that they cannot fal, its THE most important day in one's life, " when you can bike alone on a regualar bike". So that's most seen in parks: that the parents Mom or Dad, or both are trying to teach the child to bike on its own.... How proud they are and the child.... that it can bike !!!! Wow ....that's a celebration day! Than you get your first own bike, you are so proud!
We even go to our work by bike, or use they bike in our work ( postman, police) .... The last possibility: 'going to your work by bike' , is even stimulated by the government: so some people bring their bike with them in the train and bike the last part by bike... I heard a tourist talking and they said: Hee..... that's handy, over here they have small roads esspecially made for bikes. And that's so very true, we don't know better, because here it's so normal, but's also SO typical Dutch too.
I red in the newspaper from today that Dutch Policeman are going some days to Marokko (Africa) because they are interested in, how the youth from there is behaving. But on the other hand the African-Maroccan Police is very interested in the Dutch variation of ' how our Dutch Police is travelling' like:

left: the Dutch police is using the bike in the cities,
right: or they travel by horse on the beach or in the cities.
So its a very Dutch kind of thing that we normally go in any kind of weather ,to our: work, school or to the shopping-mall; We take a train + bike in the train, or a car with our bikes on the back, sometimes a horse , but most of all THE BIKE!!!
So when you are Dutch, at least you have to have one or more bikes in the shed, or bikes standing in front of the house, but not all people in Holland have a car.....
Monday, November 27, 2006
Typical Dutch...
© photography & text by
Jo's-D-Eyes
op
7:13 PM
Labels/Onderwerpen Dutch Culture ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Ha Ha....I have transported my trusty Omafiets over here to the UK, I am afraid she does not get ridden as much, but when I do go out on her I get all sorts of comments! One guy was so 'impressed' with my bike he asked how old it was. Turns out he thought it was an antique from the war! She is one of my most treasured possesions!
Rebecca, you see? How strange it seems for others; not Dutch people(or when you have not lived in NL) .When I was a student I also had an "oma fiets" , they are still for sale here in all kind of colors. Take care of your bike haha! Even when it looks old, but the people around you would not even care to have a bike.... JoAnn
Hey Rebecca aren't those bikes "IN", of course JoAnn would know that. I have a picture as a young girl standing next to a "Granny" bike. With my short perm hairdo, haha! Then as I got older I saved up for a modern bike and how happy I was.
Trudy
Post a Comment