In front of my house there is a field ,
all summer 6 COWS are grazing there....
But yesterday I counted only 5 cows,
ehhh? Am I right ? I counted again... Yes ...I am right! 5 cows, eeehhh? The farmer is coming every day to feed the cows some (old) bread,so yesterday I took my changes and I asked him this question about the cows Me: "Yesterday there were 6 cows I though, and today I count 5 cows or am I mis-counting here?"He: "Ohhh NO" he said you're absolutely right cause 1 cows walked (over the road!!!) back home to the other field, I quess he might like it there better....." (?????)
The 6 cows in July 2007, laying satisfied down.
Dutch; In July 2007 waren er 6 koeien....
Ik telde er ineens nog maar 5 ,
en vroeg de boer ernaar. Dus gisteren toen de boer de nog resterende 5 koeien (oud ) brood kwam voeren, vertelde hij mij dat er inderdaad 1 koe naar zijn boerderij was terug gelopen... Het is slechts 1 huizen-rij verder, de koe moet wel over de weg lopen....., een raar gezicht, stel je eens voor dat je ineens een koe voor je auto op de weg ziet lopen?
Hmmmm,I still like it here, but for how long ...
Dutch: Deze koe vindt het nu nog prima hier...

This cow stayed "where he supposed to stay" on the field in front of my house, and he might like it there very much, another cow did not and walked his way " back home"to the farmers house, which is only a block and 1 road away, but still..... Quess what happens when you suddenly see a cow walking on the road??
+summer+cows+july+2007.jpg)


28 comments:
LOL, to think of that cow deciding to change fields!!
Guess even cows need to get away from the stress (other cows) sometimes :)
Some cows have a mind of their own :) There's often a rebel who doesn't want to stay with the others.
It looks like they have a beautiful pasture there beside the water.
I enjoyed reading about your travels and seeing the lovely pictures. How wonderful to visit France and Spain! The coast of Spain looks like a gorgeous place to soak up the sun.
And those little villages in France...so pretty!
We make round bales out of our hay, like the one you pictured.
I hope your beloved Ios gets better fast...poor doggy! What a shame she got sick during your holiday.
I hope you see the sunshine back very soon!!
Such a nice view you have there JoAnn.I would so love to have some fresh,truly whole milk.With the sweet yellow cream on top!
Carle sr Hmmmm,
The way you make 'milk' describe, thats how I like it, but mostly we drink low-fat(skimmed) milk also, I do not even like whipped cream...:), shame on me!
Kerri,
Thanks for your proffesional 'point of view' about the cows,I never ever have heard of that "typical?" behavior of cows, ansd I follow themnow for almost 7 years...
Sognatrice,
As Kerri (above) is saying, "there are alwsy cows whih wanna rebel' , however strees can be the course ? I don't know really...
CG,
Yeh isn't that something!
JoAnn
So my question to you is, which one of the six cows we see in the top photo is the rebel who took off? :)
Have you given them names? If the one in the last photo is a girl, I'd call her Daisy.
What a fun post/blog, JoAnn! And you're in Holland, where we are half of the year, every two weeks or so! How far are you from Amsterdam??
You have cows, we have deer, those little fawns. Aren't animals fun to watch!
When I was a little girl I had a book called "The Cow Who Fell in the Canal". This cow, Hendrika, lived in Holland and I thought it a wonderful story.
Glad you found out what happened to the missing cow and that he is safe and sound. I enjoyed your photos; here in England we say that if the cows are laying down it means that rain is due. :o)
Fenix uuuhm...
Now you're asking me something ...hmmm uuuh to be honest, I know the "rebel cow' is an adult cow , I know so because the farmer told me so.
His words were: "last year she 'than she was a calf' stood here on the same field", My conclusion is that the cow is a SHE, and SHE is 1 year old , cause last year "she"was a calf. I can look at the 'óther field', to see if I recognise her? I think it was a brown cow, I'll let you know...
Ohhh and your Question about the cows-names...
The farmer told me HE used to give them names but now he is calling them by their last two numbers (Look on their airs)
My general Answer: This cows are NOT for consumption but for 'fun'for the farmer, his wife, and US , we here in the street.
Q;If I give them names????
My Answer:The one which is laying down I call "snow" the others have no name yet, Any suggestion?
Ginnie asked how far we are living from Amsterdam , Answer: By car (without traffic jam!) its 20 minutes, by train 15 minutes. Thats not far away, WHERE DO YOU STAY? You can write me by email: joannwalraven@hotmail.com,
Ruth (with tree logo), I really agree that cows are MORE than fun, they are very intelligent and kniow who I am, They moow when I walk out of my frontdoor... Really!
Martha,
Yeh??? Whats the name of that book, and YES "hendrika"is a very typical cow name...
Ruth (with handwriting logo),
When the cows lay down the weather is due???? I have to find out what that expression means, pleas explain in other words, I hope it sNOT that this weather stays (rain I hate rain)
Thank you for your comments JoAnn
Great view! Looking at the cows resting on the grass, made me feel like having a nap. You captured the quiet and pastoral scene fanastically.
Thanks for visiting my NorthBayPhoto blog. Thanks for the info on the bikes, I was not aware that those type had originated in India.
haha...the mysterious cow!!! :)
and i just noticed IOS shares her birthday with me..i celebrate mine on 28th June too :)
Hi JoAnn
What a delightful post! At least cows think for themselves...unlike sheep!
Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog.
Marie x
Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate that.
Also the photographs of the cows and your story is very good. I enjoyed reading the story behind the photos.
Also if you want to make the copyright symbol you can do it from the keyboard on the post © but not so good here on the comment post.
Just hold down the "Alt" key and on the keypad, type 0169 and leave the Alt key up. It works.
Abraham Lincoln
What does happen when you see a cow walking on the road? Do you drive very slowly around the cow or do you stop and talk for a while?
What a fun post to read. Very nice photos and a terrific story too.
Nice pictures JoAnn, and a funny story too! I guess the old saying applies here for this one cow...the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
Take care.
Hihi, wat een maffe koe....er zo maar even vandoor gaan en de weg naar huis nemen.
Betekent toch wel dat ze slimmer zijn dan wij denken.
Wel grappig dat ze bij jouw zo voor de deur staan.
Groet
Marijke
Hi NorthBay,
Yes the "indian bikes" are really in fashion here in Holland, perhaps you might like to try the tourist information of The Hague? the adress is: "www.vvvdenhaag.nl" and look at the English version...
And ehhh the cow was modelling herself so nice that I run inside the house to get my camera!
HiMoi,
But you age is much older than 8 years haha :) I will not forget your birthday now!
Hi Marie,
Yes? Do sheep also 'think'? I did not know that, well lets try them out, see if we see a sheep walking on the road, than you/we might remember this story, I saw a Deer on the road once in France.... but they were wild...
Hi Ab L.
Ehh I'll try the copyright now:
ehhh No! it did not work (not in the comments) Do I have another keyboard than you than??? Or I might do something wrong...
Hi Annie,
What language would you use to talk to the cow? "mooooowwww?" I wonder what she would do, this onces in front of our door are pretty calm, but a cow I don' know?, I would be carefull and drive the other way, away from the cow!!
Hi Susan,
Others (outsideof me) like the story also, see the comments its very rare and unusual... Right! But funny also...
Hi Mike,
Yeeeehhhh that true, but slowly I like the grass in front of my house more than the dry grass in France or Spain, were we wear last summer!
Hi Marijke,
Heb jij de koeien nog niet gezien? Ze staan er vanaf het voorjaar tot de herfst, ik voel me pas thuis als de koeien er staan. Koeien zijn slim inderdaad, pas uitgevonden.
Thanks for commenting! JoAnn
Jo-Ann - they are not even Friesens!!! But I must say I like Brown cows better, as we all know that they make chocolate milk!
Rebecca<
:) hmmmmm ,Who told you that, did you hear that from me? My dad told me that Brown cow give Chocolatemilk and I believed him...
My first boyfriend felt from his from laughing :( from his bike when I told him... uhh booh! I was 11 years old. I learned my lesson very quick, and knew from that time on that , my dad told me 'not true' stories. :)haha!
JoAnn
Its interesting to think that the cow could have a mind of his own. Great photos to go with the story.
cows are a very common sight in India, even in the cities, actually we would like them to stay in the countryside. If by chance our gates ate open they come in and chew up the garden. People have cattle guards at the fron gates, metal guards to keep the animals away
Hi Photowannabe,
I found out myself quith recenthly, but yeh they -this cows- have (some?:) ) a mind of their own.
Hi Amrita,
Thats so interesting to hear, I like to know the difference in culture, so the Indian point of view is very 'culture-like' , but also understandable, I would not like that either that cows ate my garden plants, here they do not walk ' in the wild' either they are behind small gates, or separted from the road by a small water... But this 'wise cow' even damaged the gate, the rebel!
Thanks for your comment JoAnn :)
This is such a great picture. You must have a beautiful view out your front door! I always thought cows were "not that bright"...nice to know I am wrong, sort of! Love your stuff!
© just read the comments above abt © symbol and I do it by pressing alt + 184 on the numeric keypad ↕ © but you need "num lock" on else you get ↕ -- the codes for the alt+##s when typing are not the same as the ascii codes used when coding HTML for web-pages.
Hi Neva,
I have indeed a great view and they are standing in fron t of my window, can you imagine? I love your dog-shot on your profile...
Hi Hyde DP,
Thanks.... uuhmm Ok there I go I try your tip:(I press (alt 184 and nummlock...) NOO hmmm no it did not work this time I try it in HTML, In word its quith easy, than its makes the (C) sign by itself...
Thank you all for your interest I really like to make some more "fun'stories for you!
:) JoAnn
Post a Comment